Forty-eight hours before Friday massacre, teens participating in ruling party youth camp met with Norwegian foreign minister.
Some called for boycott of Israel.
Ruling party youth camp prior to attack
The teenagers who took part in Norway’s ruling party youth camp in the island of Utoya met with Foreign Minister Jonas Gahr Stoere and demanded he recognize Palestine on Wednesday, two days before the deadly terror attack which left many of them dead.
Gahr Stoere told the youths that the Palestinians deserve a country of their own and that the occupation must end, Norwegian website Politisk reported. Several of the youths waved signs reading: “Boycott Israel.”
Earlier this week, Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas visited Norway and was told that Oslo will recognize Palestine, but not just yet.
The Norwegian FM told the youths Oslo is waiting for the official Palestinian proposal to be submitted to the UN in September.
Eskil Pedersen, leader of the Workers’ Youth League said that the movement endorses a financial embargo on Israel.
He said that they will pursue a more active policy in the Middle East and expressed support for the resumption of peace talks. Gahr Stoere agreed, but said a boycott was not the way, explaining it will turn the dialogue into a monologue.
See Related: Norway Rampage Archive
Comments are closed.